Friday, September 5, 2008

Corkscrew Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes

This weekend I saw a recipe for Fusilli with Spinach and Asiago Cheese on the Food Network. The recipe was featured during Everyday Italian, and the idea was quick meals with items on hand. Sarah and I love Spinach, so we decided to try our own version of the dish last night. I only had about 4 cherry tomatoes, so I chopped some heirloom tomato left over from a salad that I made the day before. I skipped the Asiago, which I love, but did not have in my fridge, and I added onions. My fresh garlic was not as fresh as I thought it should be, so I used some granulated garlic instead. I skipped chopping the spinach. It smooshes down so much, this felt like a wasted step.

Here's what I had.......
Here's what I did...........

Corkscrew Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes

1 lb of corkscrew pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup diced purple onions
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
6 cups fresh Spinach
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
salt
pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan

As pasta cooks, start the sauce. Saute onions in olive oil until translucent. Add granulated garlic, then spinach. As spinach wilts, add in tomatoes. Taste a small amount, then add salt and pepper as needed. Pasta should be ready right around this point. Take out one cup of pasta water, set aside, then drain pasta. Dump pasta into sauce pan. Use tongs to turn the pasta over and over, to move the spinach and tomato throughout the pasta. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water, continue turning over. This makes the vegetables saucier. Add the rest of the water, then sprinkle the cheese and work it through.

That's it. You are done.


No comments: