Monday, July 14, 2008

Creme Fraiche - What is it?

I watch a lot of the Food Network and something I hear mentioned frequently is creme fraiche. What is creme fraiche? The term, "creme fraiche," is actually supposed to have an accent mark, but I don't know how to add that in properly - sorry. The chefs on the Food Network, use it in different ways, so that didn't give me any serious hints. Is it like sour cream? Like cheese? It looks thickish, like a soft cheese. I decided to do some investigating and this is what I found......

Creme Fraiche is a milk product, made from the cream. Naturally occurring bacteria, when left on it's own, works with heat to change the cream into a thick, rich cream. In the USA, creme fraiche is pasteurized. It has a nutty flavor and doesn't separate when heated. It can be used in sauces or baking - use it in place of traditional sour cream for a richer, creamier result.

Okay, so now I know - it's like a fancy pants sour cream. If you are interested in using creme fraiche in a Salmon Fettucine recipe, there's one that sounds delicious here http://butterandcheese.net/Recipes/Main%20Course/Salmon%20and%20Dill%20Fettuccine.php And if you'd like to make some creme fraiche of your own, you can find that here http://www.joyofbaking.com/CremeFraiche.html

No comments: