Friday, July 18, 2008

Herbs - Greek Oregano


Greek Oregano
Origanum Vulgare

Greek Oregano is an herb that originated in the Mediterranean region. It was first used medicinally. The leaves can be brewed into a tea for an upset stomach or to aide in menstruation and the oil can be used to help with a toothache.

Oregano is a staple in Italian cooking, present in many tomato-based sauces. It enriches the flavor in egg dishes, breads, vegetables, meats, poultry, and seafood dishes.

I grow Greek Oregano in a pot on my patio. It can be started from seed, although I skipped that step and used a small start from the home and garden store. It requires sun, but will grow in partial sun. I have it on my patio, where it's partially shielded by larger plants and gets the heat of the afternoon sun.

It can be easily dried by hanging in a cool, dry place.

No comments: