Sunday, October 26, 2008

Teriyaki Sauce

Have you ever tasted Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce?

Good stuff. I picked it up for the first time a couple of months ago, but it went fast. I decided to try to come up with my own version. I looked at online teriyaki recipes to try to get an idea, but other than a list of ingredients, I didn't find anything definitive. This is what I came up with on my own. You will definitely want to tweak it a bit, according to your taste. I wanted something with a good gingery-sesame flavor.

Teriyaki Sauce

1 cup soy sauce, I use Tamari soy sauce, I like the flavor better

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1/2 cup sugar, I used a non-bleached, organic sugar, but you could also use honey or brown sugar

1/4 cup sesame oil, you could use another oil, but this gives a good strong sesame flavor

2 TB water

2 tsp crushed ginger

1/2 tsp granulated oil

salt and pepper to taste

Put the sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat, flip the seeds around so that they brown, but do not burn.



Mix the rest of the ingredients in a two-cup measuring cup (helps with pouring when it's done). Use a fork to blend until smooth. When sesame seeds are browned, mix them in, as well. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

You can use the sauce for a marinade for meat, fish, or vegetables. Store in an air tight container, in the refridgerator.

Tonight, I'm using it for salmon, brocoli, and rice. I'm going to use it later in the week to make a dressing for a asian chicken salad.















No comments: